PR in Canada for International Students from Nepal

There is not possibly more exciting term than “permanent residence” (PR in Canada) for individuals from, particularly, the third world or well-developed countries. Having obtained the PR allows foreign nationals to reside, work, study, and do any sort of legally provisioned activity with no restrictions and maneuver its government-funded provisions at the utmost scale.

Except for a few from the rest, most international students studying in Canada intend to settle back in Canada after the conclusion of their chosen field of study, seeking relevant employment opportunities, gaining Canadian work experience, learning the English language, and integrating into the Canadian cultures and communities, which are made up of diversity yet inclusiveness.

PR in Canada

More significantly, as of now, the Canadian immigration policies are more favorable to international graduates from one of the Canadian educational institutions, as they hold an advantageous position to be considered for approval of PR applications if they have the required qualifications and meet the eligibility criteria set out by the federal government of Canada.

International students flock in numbers to study and find permanent settlement in Canada, as everyone is fascinated by its globally recognized education systems, unexcelled healthcare facilities and provisions, excellent lifestyles, diverse cultural and rich communities, and unparalleled benefits from provincial and federal government bodies that ensure the smooth livelihood of all in Canada.

permanent residence in Canada

Eligibility requirements and criteria for PR in Canada

In general, foreign students must get enrolled in a post-secondary education program such as a diploma, postgraduate certificate, or degree program and complete one of these academic credentials with at least one year of certification, which is the preliminary requirement. Upon successful completion of the chosen field of study, graduates can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which can be granted on par with the duration of the program taken. I.e., students completing 8 months of study can be eligible for up to the same length of PGWP, and students with a minimum of 2 academic years will likely be eligible for up to 3 years of PGWP. More significantly, to be eligible for the PGWP, a foreign student must have studied at least 8 months of the program; otherwise, a graduate will not be entitled to this provision.

Upon obtaining any length of PGWP, a study permit converts to an open work permit, which allows foreign nations to work for any employer without restriction and gain Canadian work experience, which is one of the most important components of planning for a long-term career in the country. Generally, international graduates must have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience, resulting in 1560 hours of full-time or part-time work over the period of three years, to pave the way to becoming eligible for permanent residency. Nevertheless, exceptions may apply.

In addition, the work experience must be in the category of TEER (Training, Education, Experience, and Responsibility), and these categories range from 0 to 5, and each of them stipulates a different set of skills, knowledge, and level of education to be qualified, and the candidate must have employment at least under the category of one of those. Apart from these, other components such as age, level of education, length of experience and designation, English and French language proficiency, employment offer from Canadian employers, and applying with a spouse or common-law partner will also play a pivotal role in amplifying the chances of obtaining PR in Canada.

Prominent Pathway Programs for Permanent Residents

As Canada has over 100 economic pathway programs for foreign nations to immigrate to the land of opportunity, a few major programs for international graduates are:

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

It is one of the most considered and taken pathway programs for foreign Canadian graduates or any individual to link their education and Canadian work experience to permanent residency. To be eligible for this program, a candidate must have a TEER between 0 and 3. It demands strong to intermediate English or French language skills, depending on the TEER job category. For instance, if someone’s job falls under the category of TEER 0 or 1, the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) must be met with a 7 in general training IELTS. On the other hand, TEER under 2 or 3 just requires 5 in the CLB. Besides, 12 months of work experience, either full-time or part-time, are required to proceed with the application. However, this program does not strongly entail a job offer from Canadian employers or formal or vocational secondary or postsecondary education; however, having a valid offer, education from abroad, and particularly Canadian education will add additional points.

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

In contrary to the CEC, this program calls for an advanced level of English and French language skills, and the experience in TEER must be 0–3, identical to the CEC. The candidate must have one year of continuous combination of full-time or part-time experience along with that secondary education, which is mandatory for this program, and having a Canadian post-secondary credential gives extra points; however, having an employment offer is not obligatory.

Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

It complies with the non-Express Entry Stream, and an applicant must meet the minimum requirements of one of the provinces or territories set out by, and each of them has its own set of rules, eligibility criteria, and assessment methodology. Applying for this program requires a strong command of the languages, such as English or French; the levels vary by province, and it most likely includes all TEER, which is from 0-5. Besides, regarding work experience, education, and job offer, it generally differs from province to province. In order to be eligible for permanent residence, a candidate must be nominated by a specific province to fill the employment shortage, create a balance, and boost the economy of that province.

Rural Northern Immigration Pilot Program (RNIP)

This program is governed by 11 suburb communities across Canada, mostly from Ontario. To be eligible for this program, candidates must have qualifying work experience or have graduated from the post-secondary institutions from one of these 11 recommending communities. In addition, RNIP necessitates an intermediate level of English and French language competence under different TEERs. For instance, TEER 0-1 calls for CLB 6, TEER 2-3 essentializes CLB 5, and TEER 4-5 could be met with CLB 4. Furthermore, international graduates could be exempted from the requirement of qualifying work experience if they have studied and graduated from a postsecondary institution in one of the participating communities that was at least 2 years or longer in duration.

Most importantly, to be assessed for the PR, international graduates must submit the application for it within 18 months of graduation and must have lived in one of those communities for at least 16 months of the last 24 months spent studying to get the academic credential. Regrettably, prospective candidates cannot add together two 1-year programs to meet the work experience requirements under this exemption, and graduates from English or French language schools, distance learners, and scholarship or fellowship awardees won’t be facilitated by the work requirements exemption. 

Additionally, a requirement for this program is the provision of settlement funds. Individuals must provide proof of funds to support themselves and accompanying family members in Canada unless the prospective candidate is legally working in Canada. Every participating community has its own specific requirements; thus, it is advised to learn about them in detail. 

Atlantic Immigration Pilot (AIP)

This is the program that encompasses Canada’s four Atlantic provinces: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. This pathway program is designed to help employers hire qualified, skilled foreign nationals or international graduates to fill the job locally. The prospective candidate must receive a job offer from a designated employer to take part in this program. Apart from these, the candidate must meet an intermediate level of language proficiency, which is CLB 4, with postsecondary credentials of at least 2 years in length obtained from a publicly funded institution in Atlantic Canada. It is an employer-driven program, so having met the requirements set out by Atlantic Canada, getting a settlement plan with the help of a settlement provider organization and employer leads to getting a certificate of endorsement from one of those four provinces, which prepares the candidate to submit the application for PR in the Atlantic province.


Making up one’s mind and going through all these is the roller coaster experience in a completely unfamiliar land; however, one’s short-term and long-term aspirations to study and settle permanently in Canada could be eased and ascertained through the professionally driven and expert team of the International Career Counseling Centre (ICCC). It is the only end-to-end service provider across Nepal and in Canada. The ICCC operates under the guidance and supervision of the Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) to provide flawless services from the study visa application to the PR. Choosing ICCC is the best choice one ever makes in life if the ultimate plan is to settle in Canada as an international student. More significantly, applying for the initial study visa through the ICCC helps everyone set their sights on a long-term goal, which is unquestionably a PR in Canada. Thus, the solution to every riddle to study and seek a settlement is through-ICCC.

Contact us

If you want to get a free consultation without any obligations, fill in the form below and we'll get in touch with you.